Tips to enhance communication:
When someone has hearing loss, while hearing aids and other listening devices are the number one tools to use to hear better, here are some strategies that can be used to facilitate communication:
- Get the person’s attention first before you start to speak. They are less likely to miss parts of your conversation if they are ready to listen.
- Make eye contact with the speaker and ensure that there is enough lighting in the room so that they can see your mouth and face to read your lips clearly.
- Try to eliminate as much of the background noise as possible. Move to a quiet place whenever possible. Turn off sources of noise if possible, ex. running water. If going to a restaurant, arrive early and choose an area that is optimized to hear the speaker and away from any background noise.
- Don’t speak at a distant ex. in another room as it is difficult to hear the further away one goes from the speaker.
- Don’t shout or speak loudly, just try to speak clearly. Substitute with a different word if they don’t understand what you’re saying. Trying to repeat the same word doesn’t make what you are saying easier to interpret. Ex. “I am going to the ” “What??” Try to rephrase it with “I am going to the supermarket / mall /plaza.”
The earlier one is identified and diagnosed with a hearing loss, the better they can manage and cope with their hearing difficulties. Encourage your loved ones to have their hearing tested by an Audiologist as part of a routine health check up. Contact us at 905-563-0011